Skip to main content

Recipe Share: Chicken Noodle Soup

So, my family has all been under the weather lately. It's been no fun at all. The only thing that sounded good for dinner yesterday was this: Tyler Florence's Chicken Noodle Soup. It was heaven sent. I even got Jason to eat it!


Ingredients:
2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
3 medium carrots, cut diagonaly into 1/2 inch thick slices
3 celery ribs, halved lengthwise, and cut into 1/2 inch thick slices
4 sprigs fresh thyme
1 bay leaf (I used dried, since I didn't have fresh)
2 quarts (8 cups) chicken stock (I used Rachael Ray's store bought chicken stock -- it was YUMMO, as Rachael would say)
8 ounces dried wide egg noodles
1 1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken
kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
1 handful fresh flat leaf parsley, finely chopped

Directions:
If you don't already have shredded cooked chicken on hand, I either cook some boneless skinless breasts on low in the crockpot with some salt and pepper and chicken broth 'til they're done. Or, what I did yesterday was I preheated my oven to 350 degrees, placed 4 bone in chicken breasts on a cookie sheet, drizzled olive oil on top of them and sprinkled with salt and pepper. Baked for an hour. (It may take as little as 40 minutes to bake chicken at this temp, but because mine were large breasts it took longer.) Shredded the chicken and discarded the skin and bones. It was really yummy. (And I have enough leftover chicken to use for a different recipe tonight.)

Place a soup pot over medium heat and coat with the oil. Add the onion, garlic, carrots, celery, thyme and bay leaf. Cook and stir for about 6 minutes, until the vegetables are softened but not browned. Pour the chicken stock in and bring the liquid to a boil. Add the noodles and simmer for 5-7 minutes or until tender. Fold in the chicken and continue to simmer for another couple of minutes to heat through. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with chopped parsley before serving. (Be sure to remove the thyme stems, too.)

I like to serve this with Rhodes dinner rolls or crusty bread. Enjoy! Seriously, go make this tonight! It will warm you up and bring joy to your soul. The veggies turn out perfectly cooked, and the noodles soak up all that yummy stock. It's wonderful. I ate it for lunch, dinner, and breakfast today!

If you want to print out the recipe from food network's site, go here. (I use more carrot and celery than Tyler's recipe calls for. I just love my veggies!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Appreciation Gifts. By color.

With teacher appreciation happening this week, I knew I wanted to do something nice for my 3 kids' teachers. I fell back on my usual gift ideas, and did a combination of chocolate, gum, and goodies from Bath & Body Works. All women like those things, yes? And, yes, I'm kind of a color coordinating freak. I love things to match, so I first chose 3 chocolates at Target and then went to their dollar section and found a few things that matched the chocolates.  How cute are these pink and white thumb tacks? The little sticky notes are a very light shade of blue that I thought worked with the turquoise. And I loved the purple pencils and purple paper clips, too.  I made sure to get 5 small things for each teacher. Bath and Body Works always has cute little sanitizers, sprays, and lotions.   The white scalloped edge tins I found at Target in their party section with all the wedding stuff.  Luckily I had filler leftover from Easter, and I always have tissue p

Party 101.

I remember when my oldest son was 4 years old, and I wanted to plan a birthday party for him. I was overwhelmed with how to go about planning a birthday party for little kids. I wasn't sure where to start. All I knew was that he really wanted a Thomas the Train theme. Cohen, at his Thomas party. Up until then, we had always done birthday parties with family only, and they were simply eating a meal (often at a restaurant), opening presents, and having cake. This would be our first friend birthday party, where we'd have to plan activities and food for all the kids. I so wanted to have a party that was memorable for my son and his friends.  I emailed a friend of mine and asked her for advice. She gave me some great tips that I've used in all my parties since. My twin sister, Jaime, also has been a great source to turn to. She throws a mean party and is crazy creative. O ver the years, I've also learned a lot of things from trial and error, lots of trial and err

Teacher Appreciation Gift.

My son's school did a theme each day of the week for Teacher Appreciation... (flower day, note day, treat day, etc.) I spaced it and remembered last night that we hadn't done anything yet! ACK! So, to Pinterest I went and found this cute pin . Lucky me it came with a printable tag that says "ORANGE you glad it's almost summer?" I thought it was perfect. (And being OCD about gifts matching, this made me very happy.) Here's what's inside : Peach Nectarine Sparkling Ice drink - these are so yummy Lindt Intense Orange dark chocolate bar - one of my faves Dreamsicle candle from Walmart Country Chic lotion from Bath & Body Works Sweet Tangerines hand sanitizer from Bath & Body Works Orange Tic Tacs and Tropical Trident gum Lots of orange-y goodness. Makes my mouth water. The silver bin I found at Walmart in the aisle with the vases and silk flowers. And the cute chevron orange ribbon is from Hobby Lobby. Cohen's te