Skip to main content

Twin Weekend.

My twin sister, Jaime, and I had the best time meeting up in San Diego for the first of hopefully many to come Twin Weekends! We haven't lived in the same state since college, so it's always a real treat when we can get together. No one understand me like Jaime. No one makes me laugh quite as hard. And no one enjoys the things I do quite as much (eating, sight seeing, shopping, etc.).

Jaime used to live in San Diego, so she knows all the awesome restaurants and sights. We first went to Extraordinary Desserts for lunch. It was so delicious and the desserts truly are extraordinary!
 Just look at these gorgeous desserts! They were stunning and mouth watering. Masterpieces for sure.
 See the gold flakes on them? Talk about fancy!
We shared a kale, strawberry, date, and avocado salad and each got a half turkey cranberry panini. They were both fantastic.
  We finished off our meal with this beautiful chocolate truffle bundt cake. It had raspberries inside and on top. It was warm and luscious and not overly decadent, but perfectly chocolate-y. 
 Jaims took me to see La Jolla Cove. It was breathtaking!! And the animal life there was so fun to watch. The seals were right up against the edge so we got to see them (and smell them) up close and personal. 
Jaims and I decided that seals are kinda lazy. They sleep and sunbathe a lot. Haha.
I couldn't get over the amazing views everywhere. I was taking a picture every few steps we took, because the view from every angle was incredible. I could've stood there for hours just staring out into the ocean. The sound of the waves crashing was incredible.
 Look at that gorgeous wave crashing! This shot may be one I blow up and frame.
 I love this pic too, with the seals, the green mossy rocks, and the white water rolling in.
 I wonder if the seals snuggle up with their families or friends, or if they are just strangers who all like to cuddle. They are certainly lovey dovey! I guess when you're sleeping on a big rock, a pillow is appreciated.  

I loved seeing all the pretty flowers, too.
 I love pelicans. They are so huge and so unique. These huge ones were flying all about and then diving in the water to scoop up their lunch.
 This seagull was funny. He was pretty proud of his spot on this cool tree.
 My Jaims and I.

The next morning we went to the Little Italy Farmer's Market. It's one of our favorite things to do together in San Diego. The food, the flowers, the cute dogs, the produce.. it's a feast for the eyes and the belly, and we take pictures of everything without feeling ashamed one bit.
Afterwards, we drove to Coronado for lunch and more sight seeing. Burger Lounge is home to my favorite burger of all time. It's just perfectly moist and flavorful. And their fries, onion rings, and homemade Thousand Island dressing for dipping are equally as awesome.
We walked around Coronado after lunch. We got some candies at a cute candy shop for Jaime's daughter's upcoming Big Hero 6 themed birthday party, and I bought some Harry Potter jelly beans for my boys.  We came across the cutest puppy I've ever seen. It was an 8 week old husky with blue eyes. So fluffy and soft. The girl who owned her said she named her "Lea", after the Lea in Star Wars. Adorable. There's something so wonderful about walking leisurely with your twin, without a schedule to keep or a worry to fill your thoughts. I'm so thankful for the time we were able to simply walk, talk, breathe, and laugh together.


That night we went to our favorite San Diego restaurant, Cucina Urbana. Cucina is a rustic Italian restaurant with tons of personality. The food is just incredible, the décor is awesome, and the atmosphere is always hoppin'. We didn't have the greatest lighting to take pics of our food, but here are some pics of another time we went together to give you an idea..
I love this chalk drawing they have on one of their walls.
We always get the stuffed squash blossoms. They are life changing.
And the in house made mozzarella burrata with candied figs, and balsamic reduction is also fantastic.
This grilled pork chop (which had been brined in a sea salt concoction for 48 hours) with confit baby carrots and mascarpone whipped potatoes. Aaahhhh... it was tender and moist and just thinking about it makes me happy!
Jaime's entrée was also amazing. The Bucatini All'amatriciana -- (ya, I don't know what half the words on the menu mean.) A yummy pasta with guanciale (bacon), tomato, onion, calabrian chili, and pecorino cheese. This pasta had incredible flavor. The sauce was so robust and delicious.
We always have to order dessert, even if we are about to burst from fullness. It just has to be done. So, here's a pic of a dessert we've enjoyed there. It's a dark chocolate tart with amarena cherry, cocoa nib crumb, and pistachio gelato. It was heaven on earth.
We also love their chocolate budino and their orange/quince and strawberry/meyer lemon sorbets. Whenever we eat there, we just keep proclaiming, "Oh my... this is so good!" And it is.

We've even had our server high five us on our way out before.. like we were his champion eaters, and we just won the ultimate eating challenge. We may be short and petite, but we can pack it in.

Some of my favorite moments from our twin weekend included: 
- discussing our growing fondness for Justin Bieber (and listening to his song, "Sorry" over and over)
- laughing 'til we cried in the car because I was having a difficult time figuring out why Washington's birthday is also President's Day but always on Monday
- making up an impromptu bootay shaking dance to "Sorry", videoing it, and sending it to an old sweet friend of ours who we knew would love it (at least we hoped she would) haha
- fitting all of Jaims' party supplies we bought in her teeny tiny suitcase with all of her clothes, too! It was as Jaime said, "A true Mary Poppin purse moment of a miracle." (may not be her exact quote, but something like that.)
- picking white hairs out of each others' heads (this was more of an alarming, depressing experience than favorite.. but had to be mentioned) 
- sharing our testimonies of the Savior's Atonement with each other - just while in conversation, and tearing up because we are so thankful for Him
- Hobby Lobby shopping, and dreaming of the day when we can become professional party planners together (it needs to happen, it does!)
- gushing over puppies, more than babies, but then babies, too, and talking about how we know we are past baby bearing age now, and how that's sad but also exciting

The window view on my plane ride home. A blanket of clouds.
I told my kids about this and said how I wished I could get out of the plane and jump and play on the clouds... and Cohen said, "But they aren't really a mass, Mom." And Avery said, "You'd fall and hurt your head." Oh, my realist children... come, be dreamers like me for a moment, will you? 

Until our next Twin Weekend, I will be dreaming of fancy chocolate desserts, burgers with onion rings, farmer's markets, and late night twin giggles. Love you, Jaims!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Appreciation Gifts. By color.

With teacher appreciation happening this week, I knew I wanted to do something nice for my 3 kids' teachers. I fell back on my usual gift ideas, and did a combination of chocolate, gum, and goodies from Bath & Body Works. All women like those things, yes? And, yes, I'm kind of a color coordinating freak. I love things to match, so I first chose 3 chocolates at Target and then went to their dollar section and found a few things that matched the chocolates.  How cute are these pink and white thumb tacks? The little sticky notes are a very light shade of blue that I thought worked with the turquoise. And I loved the purple pencils and purple paper clips, too.  I made sure to get 5 small things for each teacher. Bath and Body Works always has cute little sanitizers, sprays, and lotions.   The white scalloped edge tins I found at Target in their party section with all the wedding stuff.  Luckily I had filler leftover from Easter, and I always have tissue p

Party 101.

I remember when my oldest son was 4 years old, and I wanted to plan a birthday party for him. I was overwhelmed with how to go about planning a birthday party for little kids. I wasn't sure where to start. All I knew was that he really wanted a Thomas the Train theme. Cohen, at his Thomas party. Up until then, we had always done birthday parties with family only, and they were simply eating a meal (often at a restaurant), opening presents, and having cake. This would be our first friend birthday party, where we'd have to plan activities and food for all the kids. I so wanted to have a party that was memorable for my son and his friends.  I emailed a friend of mine and asked her for advice. She gave me some great tips that I've used in all my parties since. My twin sister, Jaime, also has been a great source to turn to. She throws a mean party and is crazy creative. O ver the years, I've also learned a lot of things from trial and error, lots of trial and err

Teacher Appreciation Gift.

My son's school did a theme each day of the week for Teacher Appreciation... (flower day, note day, treat day, etc.) I spaced it and remembered last night that we hadn't done anything yet! ACK! So, to Pinterest I went and found this cute pin . Lucky me it came with a printable tag that says "ORANGE you glad it's almost summer?" I thought it was perfect. (And being OCD about gifts matching, this made me very happy.) Here's what's inside : Peach Nectarine Sparkling Ice drink - these are so yummy Lindt Intense Orange dark chocolate bar - one of my faves Dreamsicle candle from Walmart Country Chic lotion from Bath & Body Works Sweet Tangerines hand sanitizer from Bath & Body Works Orange Tic Tacs and Tropical Trident gum Lots of orange-y goodness. Makes my mouth water. The silver bin I found at Walmart in the aisle with the vases and silk flowers. And the cute chevron orange ribbon is from Hobby Lobby. Cohen's te