Skip to main content

Recipe Share: Marinated Flank Steak with Crash Hot Potatoes and Green Salad

This steak is one of my favorite "fancy" meals to make. It is so easy and so flavorful. You can eat it in a quesadilla, taco, on top of a salad, or on its own. Whenever I make dinner for a family, this is one of my go to meals. I either make it with the Pioneer Woman's Mac n Cheese or with a potato 
side of some sort. (Below I made it with the Pioneer Woman's Crash Hot Potatoes.) Oh, and I always make it with this yummy green salad. So delicious! 

Marinated Flank Steak
Ingredients:
1.5 - 2.5 lb. flank steak
unseasoned meat tenderizer
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 packet of Good Seasons brand Italian dressing mix
(I've also used lime juice in this recipe and a combination of lime and lemon juice, and both those options are tasty, too. The lime juice gives it a nice zing.)

Directions:
I like to line a cookie sheet with foil and place my steak on it, so I don't dirty a tray for this process. Liberally sprinkle the meat with unseasoned meat tenderizer (find this in the spice section of your grocery store - it's a white powdery substance), and using a fork, pierce the meat all over. Turn the meat over, and again, sprinkle with tenderizer and pierce with fork. Whisk together the fresh lemon juice, vegetable oil and Good Seasons Italian dressing mix in a bowl to make the marinade. (You'll need 2-3 lemons, and you can find the dressing mix by the other salad dressing & dip mix packets at your grocery store.) Pour the marinade in a large Ziploc bag, and carefully place the steak in the bag with it. Zip it up and turn the steak over a few times in the bag to get the marinade all over it. Place the marinating steak flat in the refrigerator for at least four hours. (I usually turn mine over half way through this time, just to make sure the marinade is getting evenly absorbed.)

Heat grill to medium high, remove steak from marinade, and grill 8-10 minutes per side for medium to medium well. (If you prefer your steak medium rare, grill 6-7 minutes per side.) Because flank steaks tend to be uneven in their thickness (the ends are often much thinner than the middle), if the middle is still undercooked when I slice my steak, I will simply turn on a sautee pan to medium high and throw those undercooked pieces into the pan to finish cooking. You can tell if your steak is done the way you want it by pressing down on the steak with your finger. If it's still pretty soft to the touch, it's rare or medium rare. If it's pretty firm, then it's medium well or well done.

Remove steak from grill, cover with a foil tent, and let rest at least 5-10 minutes. Thinly slice steak on an angle, going against the grain of the steak. Enjoy!

Pioneer Woman's Crash Hot Potatoes
Ingredients:
New Potatoes (or other small, round potato - I'm in love with Yukon golds. They are so much tastier than regular potatoes. If you've never tried them, please do!)
Olive Oil
Kosher Salt
Pepper
Rosemary, finely chopped

Directions:
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Boil the potatoes until fork tender. (It usually takes mine about 12-15 mins.) Drizzle a generous amount of olive oil onto a sheet pan. Place the fork tender potatoes on the sheet pan and spread them out a bit. With a potato masher, smash the potatoes a bit. (You want them to still hold together, so don't smash them all the way.) Brush (or spoon) olive oil onto the tops of each potato. Sprinkle with kosher salt, pepper, and rosemary. Bake for 20-25 minutes on the top rack of your hot oven (or until they've turned golden and crispy.)

Enjoy! (These would taste awesome with other herbs, too... chives, thyme, parsley... the sky's the limit with these babies.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Appreciation Gifts. By color.

With teacher appreciation happening this week, I knew I wanted to do something nice for my 3 kids' teachers. I fell back on my usual gift ideas, and did a combination of chocolate, gum, and goodies from Bath & Body Works. All women like those things, yes? And, yes, I'm kind of a color coordinating freak. I love things to match, so I first chose 3 chocolates at Target and then went to their dollar section and found a few things that matched the chocolates.  How cute are these pink and white thumb tacks? The little sticky notes are a very light shade of blue that I thought worked with the turquoise. And I loved the purple pencils and purple paper clips, too.  I made sure to get 5 small things for each teacher. Bath and Body Works always has cute little sanitizers, sprays, and lotions.   The white scalloped edge tins I found at Target in their party section with all the wedding stuff.  Luckily I had filler leftover from Easter, and I always have tissue p

Party 101.

I remember when my oldest son was 4 years old, and I wanted to plan a birthday party for him. I was overwhelmed with how to go about planning a birthday party for little kids. I wasn't sure where to start. All I knew was that he really wanted a Thomas the Train theme. Cohen, at his Thomas party. Up until then, we had always done birthday parties with family only, and they were simply eating a meal (often at a restaurant), opening presents, and having cake. This would be our first friend birthday party, where we'd have to plan activities and food for all the kids. I so wanted to have a party that was memorable for my son and his friends.  I emailed a friend of mine and asked her for advice. She gave me some great tips that I've used in all my parties since. My twin sister, Jaime, also has been a great source to turn to. She throws a mean party and is crazy creative. O ver the years, I've also learned a lot of things from trial and error, lots of trial and err

Teacher Appreciation Gift.

My son's school did a theme each day of the week for Teacher Appreciation... (flower day, note day, treat day, etc.) I spaced it and remembered last night that we hadn't done anything yet! ACK! So, to Pinterest I went and found this cute pin . Lucky me it came with a printable tag that says "ORANGE you glad it's almost summer?" I thought it was perfect. (And being OCD about gifts matching, this made me very happy.) Here's what's inside : Peach Nectarine Sparkling Ice drink - these are so yummy Lindt Intense Orange dark chocolate bar - one of my faves Dreamsicle candle from Walmart Country Chic lotion from Bath & Body Works Sweet Tangerines hand sanitizer from Bath & Body Works Orange Tic Tacs and Tropical Trident gum Lots of orange-y goodness. Makes my mouth water. The silver bin I found at Walmart in the aisle with the vases and silk flowers. And the cute chevron orange ribbon is from Hobby Lobby. Cohen's te